Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We're back

Not sure how much I can post since I'm still very tender hearted, but I'll try. The flight was uneventful except getting up at 3:30 for a 6am flight. Arrived in Ut around 10am. Drove around for a bit since we were about 3 hrs early for check in. Grabbed some lunch then roamed around Temple-Square for a few hrs. Arrived at our hotel in time for showers and then on to the viewing.

My mom looked so beautiful and herself compared to the last time I was there. I surprised myself by being relatively calm. But of course that only lasted for a bit until my aunt came over. Then I lost it. The rest of the evening was spent with my family chatting about how the next days events should take place. It was nice. Got back to the hotel and snacked before bedtime.

The day of the funeral was gray and cloudy. Mom had been moved to another room so we could use the chapel for the services. We had a nice amount of people show up especially with the rain. The service was nice and of course very emotional. My oldest brother and younger brother spoke, my oldest brother's 2nd dd spoke. My younger brother read a statement from my youngest brother. Yes, I'm the only girl. :) Afterward they ushered my oldest brother and I(and families)into the limousine that follows the hearse. By this time it was very chilly and raining. But as I thought about it, I realized that mom loved the rain, so it really was her day.

The gravesite was blessed by my Uncle(mom's only brother) and then we all piled into our cars and left for the luncheon. It was very nice. Then most of us headed over to Grandma's house(she has also passed away last Jan) but this is where we meet. Chatted for awhile and picked up some other items that no one else wanted. Around dinner time most everyone had left, so we headed to eat. The rest of the days(2 1/2) were spent finding things to occupy our time. Most of the family had left to either work the next day or had other events previously planned before mom's passing. It was kind of frustrating, but kind of my fault for not finding out what everyone had planned. Otherwise we would have left earlier. Oh well, live and learn.

Left Ut on Tues afternoon around 6pm. We were supposed to leave around 5pm, but the plane didn't leave it's first destination until 30 min late. Surprisingly, we still arrived at home on time. So nice to sleep in our own beds.

I want to thank all my friends that read my blog for your kind and thoughtful words and prayers. They have meant a great deal to me. I suspect the next few weeks will continue to be hard, but with continued prayers from you all and myself, I will get through this.


Tricia said...

Glad you are home safe and sound. Sounds like you are at peace with everything. I'll keep you in my prayers.

JADs Mama said...

Still keeping you in my prayers. I am sure you will always miss your mom but be comforted in that you will see her again! :) HUGS

Karies place said...

Thanks Tricia and Vania. I greatly appreciate your friendship and your prayers.

Jess said...

Glad to hear your all home safe and sound... and that it was a nice memorial for your mom.

Its hard losing a loved one.. and I am so thankful for the knowledge we have of eternal families. It offers some comfort.

I would say to you to stay close to your heavenly Father in the days to come.... he will help with your heartache as well as remembering good times and things you might have forgotten over the years.

Big hugs to you and yours hun.... hang in there. The ache never goes away... but it does lighten a little.

Your friend- Jess

Karies place said...

Thanks Jess, and yes, it is hard. I, too, am thankful that we can be together again, it's just the waiting part that is hard. Having her be on the other side where I can't see her.

I do know it lightens a bit since I lost my dad 16 months ago and my grandma(mom's mom) just last Jan. But I sure do miss them all.

Thanks for your friendship.